Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Merrill David Merrill is offline

Default low cost hydraulic puller needed

For pulling use a hollow ram with a pull rod through the center, powered by
a hydraulic hand pump. No C-frame required. Like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Enerpac-RCH-202-...1%7C240%3A1318

From Enerpac site:
http://www.enerpac.com/en/products/c...hollow-plunger
and
http://www.enerpac.com/en/literature...system-set-ups

Neither Northern Tool nor Harbor Freight seem to offer a comparable one for
hobby use.

David Merrill

"David Lesher" wrote in message

We need to make a custom auto repair tool for extracting a bushing.
The bushing is ~~2" ID and 1.5" length.

The needed puller is best envisioned as large Greenlee punch; the inner
die will force the hollow donut into the outer cup; the cup fits atop
notches on the car frame.

The "punch" part is not the problem; it's the force needed.

Some people have made pullers with screw threads; but with conventional
thread, and the high forces, they soon get trashed. We considered buying
Acme threaded rod & nuts, but cranking down on it is a PITA anyhow as the
far end will spin...and shift off center.

Ideally, we take something that costs about what a Harbor Fright bottle
jack does, and make it pull not push. Any great ideas??