Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dot matrix printer

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:31:00 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

For 70ukp I can get an entry level laser inc. usb cable. Is there
something I should know?

Yes monochrome lasers are very cheap these days. Been using an LJ1200 for
years now it just works and produces nice clean crisp text that doesn't
smudge or wash off in the rain.

Seriously looking at getting the HP Colour Laserjet CP1515n previously
mentioned as No.1 Daughter is now doing much more homework that needs
colour print outs and the Epson Stylus Photo 890 I have is very greedy on
expensive and occasionally hard to come by ink. Not to mention the quality
on ordinary paper is not that good.

Be aware that some of the cheaper end of the range printers are "host
based" ie they rely on the host computer to do the grunt work. This almost
invariably means that you must have it plugged into a windows machine.

Not necessarily. You can usually network them. The problems arise
finding suitable drivers for machines other than windows.