Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default dot matrix printer

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 23:07:05 UTC, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 26 Feb, 23:00, "Bob Eager" wrote:

What's wrong with a cheapo inkket?

Laser is now cheaper. They always were at the high end, but the volume
at which they become the cheaper option gets lower and lower.

The other option is what I use. I have two (actually, several but I only
use two) HP LaserJet 4M+ machines. 12ppm, networked, PostScript. Each
has a large paper tray and a duplexer, and they (apart from the
duplexers) cost penuts on eBay. They have required zero maintenance, and
even genuine HP toners are quite cheap on eBay. All the major consumable
components are part of the toner cartridge.

Yes, a bit big, but fine for me. I have a Xerox DocuPrint C20
(PostScript) for the occasional colour output. And they all work with
Windows, OS/2 and FreeBSD.
http://www.diybanter.com