Posted to alt.home.repair
Hobbyist Hobbyist is offline

Default Electricity danger?

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 2/26/2009 11:06 AM Hobbyist spake thus:

When I switch my kettle off at the electric socket, a brief flash of
green light is visible behind the socket. Is this normal, or could it
be dangerous? Supposedly it's ok if the kettle plug is earthed?

Flashes of light accompanying switching something on or off are *never*
OK. Indicates arcing contacts, which can only get worse with time.

Not sure where or what kind of switch you have; "switch my kettle off at
the electric socket" is a bit ambiguous. But it's time to replace that
switch if it sparks. "Earthing" (aka grounding) won't help you here.

Thanks, David. I'll call an electrician, and meantime I'll use a
different socket (with on/switch on the socket - when it's on, you see
the part of the switch that is painted red, otherwise it's white when
pressed the other way - not sure if that explains it. I'm in
England).

Adam.