Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - How hot to expand enough...?

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 2/21/2009 8:50 PM Smitty Two spake thus:

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:

dpb wrote:

Do it as quickly as possible to get as little heat transfer to the
shaft as possible. I usually fill it full of WD4O or another
(relatively) non-volatile lubricant first.

WD-40 is NOT a lubricant.

YES IT IS! WTF is the matter with you people and the venomous anti-WD
****? It's a ****ing lubricant. Read the ****ing INGREDIENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

WD-40 is NOT anywheres near "non volatile" basically kerosene, it
burns quite well.

I agree. I'm *rilly* tired of hearing this oft-repeated "WD-40 is PURE
****!" mantra, repeated so many times that people accept it as received
wisdom.

It does work as a lubricant, as advertised. I use it on my bike chain
all the time, as well as other places. It may not be the world's best
lubricant for certain situations, but it is definitely a lubricant.

Years ago I worked in a defense plant that produced
safety devices for the arming of artillery shells.
The clockwork mechanisms were lubricated with WD-40.
Perhaps the fact that WD-40 displaces moisture is a
reason they used it.

TDD