Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike S[_2_] Mike S[_2_] is offline

Default pass through headphone jack help needed

wrote in message
On Feb 25, 10:34 pm, jakdedert wrote:
wrote:
I have a Dell inspiron E1405 and the headphone jack was broken off the
motherboard. I either need to get a replacement jack or figure out
what solder points to jump in order to get the speakers to work. Here
is a picture of the motherboard and the solder points.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...eadphone002_re...

Does anyone know what solder points to connect in order to get the
speakers to work on the computer. Or does anyone know where to get a
replacement jack?

Thanks!

If there's anything left of the old jack, you should be able to trace it
out with a mini-TRS plug and a meter. If not, it should be available on
eBay...or a dead mb. I expect every Dell is pretty much the same,
though. I wish I'd seen this yesterday when I had my D400 apart for
speaker replacement.

Carefully probing the connections--if you can run the computer
disassembled--with a probe made from a set of headphones might tell you
which are the input pads. That would be three out of (what should be)
five: L-in, R-in, L-out, R-out & common. If you can get to the leads on
the speakers, you should be able to check continuity to there to find
which pads are the L-out & R-out and common....

Finally, a lot of Dell manuals are available on the web. Try to
download one...any one, as per the above (identical parts).

jak- Hide quoted text -

grounds being 1 6 7 8

#3 appears to be a dead end trace, I turned the motherboard over and
there is no trace leading away from it on either side of the board.

So that leaves us with 2, 4, and 5 with traces leading away from
them.
#4 has trace leading away on both sides of the board.

Hope this helps.

#3 may or may not be a dead end trace. Many modern motherboards are mroe
than two layers (top and bottom).
Some boards havemany layers stacked together.
Example: My sony DCR-VX1000 camcorder has several boards that are 6 to 10
layers of traces.