Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Sketchup 7

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .

Steve Turner wrote:

snip
I've been messing with it a lot lately and it IS pretty dang spiffy. But
I'm also a TurboCAD junky and there are a lot of things from that program
that I miss terribly in Sketchup.

snip

On a different subject, sorta; I've been using TurboCad for many years
(still a novice at it)and I was wondering if it gets any more intuitive as
time goes on??

Maybe! I have probably used 6 or 7 CAD programs since the mid 80's TurboCAD
was absolutely the most difficult for me to "attempt" to master. AutoCAD LT
eas infinatly easier for me to learn and I used it for about 12 years.
Sketchup is as much easier for me to use compared to AutoCAD as AutoCAD ias
to TurboCAD.

I am embarrassed to say that I still have V7 Pro. I upgraded about 3
times to get there and every time I DID upgrade, it seemed to take forever
to get back all the screens and buttons that went somewhere else.
Is it better now? Is 3D easier to work with than it was in V7?
Turbocad had a "Solid Modeller" back then. It seemed to work pretty
well, but was quite limited. But it sure seemed easier to use that this
V7.
Also, since you are messing with Sketchup:
I downloaded an early version and went through the tutorial. It seemed
really neat, until I tried a complete drawing. Then, all of a sudden all
the neat "intuitive" stuff was over and I'd have to do all the rote
learning that I have had to do with Turbocad if I wanted to make it my
"default" CAD software. Is Sketchup better now?

Sketchup 7 is better than 6 and as mentioned above has become my primary
drawing program. Well worth learning to think a little differently as
drawings are about 10 times faster using Sketchup 7. The learning curve is
pretty shallow especially if you watch a few of the numerous short online
tutorials.