Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Sketchup 7

wrote in message
On Feb 25, 10:07 am, "Leon" wrote:
Keep in mind that Sketchup can be very difficult to use if you don't
create
components and assemble them if you want a working drawing. After
assemble
of the components that can be easily moved again.

I don't generally bother with components because I have no need to
pull out components to be shown separately. The type of things I'm
making I just don't need that kind of drawings. And even if I were
doing something, say a mission style bench and I have rails with a
bunch of mortises. Well, when I go to make those mortises I am
probably going to use some kind of template that references from the
center of the mortise. So what do I need a drawing of the mortises
for? All I need is the location of the centers which I can get from
the full drawing. And so I just don't even bother modeling the joint
at all, I know what needs to happen there so I just don't see the
point in modeling it. I'm the only one who needs to understand the
drawing so it doesn't need to be complete, just enough for me to do
the job, and possibly to show to a customer who only needs to know
what it will look like not how to make it.

-Kevin

I can understand what you are talking about here and I used to think that
way. Most of what I build can be quite complex and for me the drawings
help me to visualize if some thing is going to work or not. Basically the
components are not used so that you can pull them out so to speak, you use
components so that you can more easily modify a part that may be too long or
too wide, etc,.. I recently designed a jewelry chest with sliding dado's
for the drawer slides. I made every thing out of components and then
assembled a drawer out of copies of the components. Then I grouped that
assembly so that I could place it in the cabinet and see how it fit. If it
were too long I could easily modify a component part outside the cabinet
with out having to remove the drawer. The drawer components would
automatically adjust while in place inside the chest.