Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default Sketchup 7

wrote in message
On Feb 25, 10:07 am, "Leon" wrote:
Keep in mind that Sketchup can be very difficult to use if you don't
create
components and assemble them if you want a working drawing. After
assemble
of the components that can be easily moved again.

I don't generally bother with components because I have no need to
pull out components to be shown separately. The type of things I'm
making I just don't need that kind of drawings. And even if I were

It's less about what you need in the model or drawings as keeping things
straight with Sketchup. Other CAD systems will manage a certain amount of
information behind the scenes. For example, a part may be made up of some
extrusions or sweeps, each with an associated sketch and other information.
Sub-assemblies contain other assemblies as well as parts made from features
of extrusions and such. The relevance here is that Sketchup doesn't do any
of that organization for you by itself. Sketchup components are in many ways
analogous to parts and sub-assemblies in the other systems. Everything that
isn't grouped into a component is part of the global component.

If that's right for what you're doing, that's already more than you need to
know. However, it's clear to me from your comments that this is the
precisely the problem you're running into. In your mind, the box you're
drawing is a board separate from the box already in the model. From
Sketchup's point of view, you're trying to connect them together to make a
compound shape. The way you tell Sketchup what you have in mind is to group
them into separate components.

doing something, say a mission style bench and I have rails with a
bunch of mortises. Well, when I go to make those mortises I am
probably going to use some kind of template that references from the
center of the mortise. So what do I need a drawing of the mortises
for?

Draw them if you need them. Don't draw them if you don't. This is
independent of the problems you described.

All I need is the location of the centers which I can get from
the full drawing. And so I just don't even bother modeling the joint
at all, I know what needs to happen there so I just don't see the
point in modeling it. I'm the only one who needs to understand the
drawing so it doesn't need to be complete, just enough for me to do
the job, and possibly to show to a customer who only needs to know
what it will look like not how to make it.

Sketchup is looking over your shoulder, and guessing wrong. Give it a clue.