Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air Compressor Rebuilding

BobH wrote:
I recently picked up an old Wayne 5 HP two stage air compressor. It
certainly needs gaskets and a shaft seal and I was told it needs rings
and valves. Is it common to have to bore the cylinders on a compressor
when replacing rings in the same way that you do on an engine?

Well, does it really need rings? What type of valve is used, disc or
leaf? The disc valves might be resurfaced and reused, the leaf valve
shouldn't be real expensive. Gaskets and seals shouldn't be too bad,
either.

I'm no expert, but unless it was run out of oil, the cylinders generally
shouldn't need reboring, unless it has a HUGE amount of hours on it.

Jon