Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default low cost hydraulic puller needed

David Lesher wrote:

We need to make a custom auto repair tool for extracting a bushing.
The bushing is ~~2" ID and 1.5" length.

The needed puller is best envisioned as large Greenlee punch; the inner
die will force the hollow donut into the outer cup; the cup fits atop
notches on the car frame.

The "punch" part is not the problem; it's the force needed.

Some people have made pullers with screw threads; but with conventional
thread, and the high forces, they soon get trashed. We considered buying
Acme threaded rod & nuts, but cranking down on it is a PITA anyhow as the
far end will spin...and shift off center.

Ideally, we take something that costs about what a Harbor Fright bottle
jack does, and make it pull not push. Any great ideas??

Harbor Freight has both pullback rams to go with the hand pumps that may
work as well as a clone of the Greenlee hydraulic punch puller with the
separate pull cylinder and hand pump.