Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reinforcing night latch

fred wrote:
In article
,
writes
fred wrote:
In article
,
writes
Andrew Mawson wrote:

London Bar:

http://www.londonbar.co.uk/

Personally I make my own from 1" x 1/4" strip

AWEM

Screwing stuff to the frame is missing the point, the frame is the
weakest part of the setup. You need to screw through into the masonry
to get decent strength.

Not really, without the strengthening that Dave is proposing, the frame
will pop long before it is dislodged from the wall. Once the frame has
been strengthened, then is the time to consider fixing the frame more
securely.

Maybe you're thinking of upvc, I'm thinking of timber frames. Strength
of fixing to the wall isn't really an issue there, and has nothing to
do with the frame failure mode.

Definitely not thinking of upvc yuk, no, I'm suggesting making a
timber frame/lock combination as strong as possible by reinforcing the
(easily splinterable) woodwork with steel strip (as Dave has suggested)
as an assembly, then (if deemed necessary) tying the reinforced frame
structure in surrounding brickwork.

The idea being that wood can resist severe attack if you can just stop
it failing by splintering out. Steel strips on long screws into the
edge, bind the frame into a strong composite structure.

It sounded as if you were suggesting long fixings from lock strike into
masonary which doesn't really sound feasible.

Does that make sense?

yes, I understand - but youre making life hard for yourself. Long
screws on the lock plate that sink all the way into masonry are very
easy to do. Just remove old screws, drill, wallplug, fit new screws. I
didn't find anything difficult about it. Use very small wallplugs to
keep hole size down.

NT