Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default PEX plumbing connection preferences

fftt wrote:
fftt wrote:

I bought / buy my supplies from PEXsupply.com. ...they are the best.
Over the last couple years they have improved their online parts
ordering, selection..... and now with that informative video, really
explain the the range of PEX connection choices
Back when I was started to look at PEX for re-pipes (2005) the info
was not neatly collected so I had to gather it all myself.
I did not discover the clamp type system and SharkBites were not
widely available.
I chose among these systems at the time:
copper ring crimp
stainless sleeve crimp
PEX ring expander
I settled on Wirsbo / Uponor PEX ring expander system.....not sure
exactly why.
I guess I didnt like the idea of squeezing the hell out of the PEX
will a metal ring. It made me nervous. Plus I liked the brass
fittings & the fact that no external metal part was needed. The only
way an expansion connection can fail is:
internal fitting fails
PEX material fails
Also Wirsbo/Uponor is a major PEX mfr / supplier, another reason to
use their system.
I didn't know (at the time) that plumbers that do a ton of PEX tend to
use expander system but I found out later on.
I have a hand expander (from ebay used, 3 heads) like the in the
video...1/2 or 3/4" expansions are very easy by hand, but 1"
expansions are a lot of work, a real struggle but doable.
I think the crimp system is popular with DIY's because the tool is
cheaper.
If you're gonna do a lot of PEX....I would go with the Wirsbo/Uponor
expansion system and serious consider that battery powered expander.
They're rather spendy but super FAST & easy!
I've done a couple houses at this point and using the "home run"
design, there are less than 40 connections to make (typical 2 bath
house)
Plus (as far as I know) the expansion system is the only one with
power tool option.
When I first got my PEX supplies & tool, I made up some connections
to play with......they're really strong.
My oldest install is 3 years at this point....no problems (yet?)
cheers
Bob
SharkBites are quite, easy, reliable but kinda expensive for a whole
house. I've used them (not for PEX) for "one off" repairs, faster
than setting up to sweat a single connection.

On Feb 25, 6:35 am, "Len56" wrote:
Thanks fftt. That's a lot of good information and I appreciate you taking
the time to write it.

I'm leaning toward the Wirsbo/Uponor expander system, but I am not
completely sure yet. I do like the fact that it appears that many or most
professional plumbers use that system.

One thing I am not quite sure about yet is that the video says that the
Wirsbo expander system requires PEX-A tubing and cannot be used with regular
PEX tubing (or something like that). When I look at the PEXsupply.com
website, I don't seem to see anything which states that the PEX tubing they
sell is PEX-A as opposed to "regular" PEX. And, when I look in places like
Home Depot or Lowes, I don't see anything about PEX-A vs. "regular" PEX
tubing in what they sell. Maybe all that anyone sells these days is already
PEX-A, but I don't know.

Finding the PEXsupply.com videos on their website is not that easy in my
opinion. I originally found them when doing a YouTube search for PEX videos
and I had to look at a lot of videos before figuring out that PEXsupply.com
seemed to have the best ones. In some of the PEXsupply.com videos they say
to "check out our PEX Learning Center on the PEXsupply.com website". I
couldn't find anything called that on their website, so I sent them an email
a few days ago suggesting that they put a clear tab or link on their home
page called "PEX Learning Center" and have links to all of their videos and
training info under that tab or link. They did write back right away and
said they will consider that in future planning of their website.

Another thing that I am looking into is the possible use of PEX for hot
water radiator heating supply and return pipes (not the under-floor radiant
heating). Apparently, PEX-Aluminum-PEX is used for that, and the expander
system doesn't work with PEX-Aluminum-PEX tubing. I haven't figured out yet
if the stainless steel ring crimping system can be used with
PEX-Aluminum-PEX, but I'm checking that out.

PEX-A -B or -C refers to the process used to cross link the
polymer.

really PEX should be PE-Xa (polyethylene cross linked - process A)

Wirsbo PEX is PEX-A .....I'd stick with their tubing & fittings
They call it AquaPEX (they should be more careful with their wording)

here is a website (they dont sell any PEX prodcuts) but I have found
their info to be solid (if a bit "old school" / conservative)
http://www.plumbingworld.com/pexpipe.html ex

I thought you had found the videos on PEXsupply.com ......... good
videos, should be easier to find

I haven't been back to PEXsupply.com in over a year but I do know
that they are responsive to requests for info & have greatly improved
their website since I first went there (2004)

WIrsbo has a lot of info on their website but they are not very
responsvie to email or telephone calls...what you find is what you
get.

Actually they are very responsive. The local mom & pop plumbing place is
a full stocking Wirsbo distributor. I can buy stuff there for less than
the online places or big box and when I was doing the radiant heat in
the house they gave me a ticket to attend a local sales/training session
held by Wirsbo. They demonstrated all of the tooling and techniques and
I got the various manuals and engineering design guides and a contact
number to call to ask questions. Its also great having local stock
because you might be in the middle of a project and forgot to get
something. I had that happen late one day and the one owner dropped it
off on his way home.

I haven't had the need to do heating system, so I dont know much
about the tubing requirements but PEX-A might be ok....but I'd ask
Wirsbo / Uponor about heating apps for their AquaPex and their
expansion system

cheers
Bob