Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Groh Charlie Groh is offline

Default a question on angled doors

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:00:30 -0800, Charlie Groh
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 06:37:22 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

jzfredricks wrote:
hi all

I hope it's ok posting this question here - it's a bit of woodworking
and a bit cabinet making!

Please see this image;
http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/n...nt=cabinet.jpg

It's not the best, but hopefully it's enough. I'm thinking of making
something like this, and one thing that I can't quite work out is how
the hinges work.

If you look closely, you'll see the doors aren't perpendicular to the
base, but rather are on a slight angle.

Are you sure of that? Have you actually seen the object?

More likely is that the object is distorted in the photo because the top is
closer to the camera than the bottom; that makes the sides *look* tapered.

...bingo, give the man a ceeeeegar. I'm getting into architectural
photography and one of the *big* deals is converging lines...how to
*not* get converging lines is a tough...and expensive...nut (I believe
Robotoy found one of the same doors that got close, but you'll notice
it still isn't quite correct). If you want to swing doors off of
jambs that are not plumb with doors shaped to match, and french no
less, well, buckle up. Best idea I've seen is to "pocket" them and
even that would be funky, imagine the jamb sides when the doors are in
the open position. Now, a paralellogram-shaped opening...heh...

cg

....forget that paralellogram idea, too. Hehehe...

cg