Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Sketchup 7

Steve Turner wrote:

For a free program it's pretty damned incredible.

I've been around free software since day one, and what I found
incredible about Sketchup is that even if it cost a lot, it is pretty
incredible. There is not much I can think of a common wood worker could
not do readily with this very free application. It may not work
perfect for an architect designing the twin towers, or a design engineer
drawing up the final specs of an atomic power plant, but for some guy
building a deck, a barn, a kitchen cabinet, a night stand or any of the
many things your every day wood worker builds, this is the perfect tool
at the perfect price.

BTW, the stickiness is maddening until you use components.

One interesting thing is the "professional" $600 version works about
exactly the same as the free version, with the main difference in
ability to interact with other design software, not something that would
plague your average wood worker.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com