Posted to uk.d-i-y
Franko Franko is offline

Default Scale Wizard (limescale inhibitor)

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"Franko" wrote in message
wrote in message
One of the shopping channels is currently selling this. It's just a
wire wrapped around the rising main pipe, presumably creating a
magnetic field.

You just switch it on and leave it.

Anyone tried one of these or anything similar?

My missus bought one of these some years ago and I duly fitted it.

The kettle *seemed* to stay cleaner for a bit longer but still scaled up
eventually.

A month or so after fitting, the head on our electric shower started to
block regularly and needed cleaning twice a week or so.
If I ran the shower on full flow without the head, bits of crap would
come out for quite some time, and, upon closer inspection I could see
that they were bits of limescale with a slight curve on them which
indicated to me that they had come from the element.

I unplugged the scalewatcher a month ago and have not needed to clean the
shower head since, the kettle looks the same.

It appears it was doing its job and removing the scale on the pipes and
element. If you left it longer the caked on scale may have been removed
and the all clear after. You should have ran with it longer.

How much longer though??
I love my showers but have had to put up with having a crap shower each day
for the past 7 or so years, with water going in all directions apart from on
me. I have tried different shower heads but they all block the same.
I can now have a shower with the water actually getting me wet, and not the
just the walls & floor.
You say that the caked on scale may have been removed after time - but
judging by the amount I got out of the system on a bi-weekly basis this
would not have happened, I presume that the scale builds up to a certain
extent but doesn't take hold as easy as normal and is then ejected as little
bits.
I would rather pay out to fit a new shower unit every 10 years or so once
scaled up than have to endure a crappy shower.