Posted to uk.d-i-y
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default boarding over loft insulation

In article ,
TheScullster writes

Another option is to add some elevated storage.
It will depend on the roof construction how easy this is.
If it is modern "W" truss, you can put batons across fixed to the
"vertical?" timbers, then lay boards across those for storage.
Not suitable for really heavy stuff, but keeps the joist area clear for
thicker insulation.
All you need then is a single walkway to provide access.

Don't think it's a w Phil, it is a 1935 detached house with pine rafter
etc. but not much head room most of the height in the middle of the
roof. Might board a few bits just so i can store some boxes up there.
Tiny roof hatch so it will have to be cut small enough to get the planks
up there. The idea of insulating the inside of the rafter sounds good as
well as our house is quite cold in the centre up the stairwell. (We
ought to have bitten the bullet and upped our central heating system
from gravity feed I guess)

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy