Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,aus.electronics
Baron[_2_] Baron[_2_] is offline

Default Teac FD-235GF 3156-u replacement

gcd Inscribed thus:
"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:43:49 +1100, "gcd"
put finger to
keyboard and composed:

I've had some success using a standard pc drive. Had to use DS0
rather than DS1 (expected) and needed to ensure the drive was using
disk change on pin 34.

DS1 (Drive Select) was the result of some bright spark realising that a
twist in the cable could be used to determine which drive was "A" In
practice it probably saved a lot of money for the manufacturers and
confused techies !

The only thing that is still a little peculiar is the density
select and whether it's an input/output or both.

It sticks in my mind that it was always an output in the sense that it
was used to detect the difference between 720/144 Mb disks and set the
rotational speed, 300/360 rpm I belive.

Using a standard PC drive I need to use a HD disk but cover over the
HD hole and that seems to work reliably. On the original drive I
would use HD without covering up the hole.

I wonder if that is anything to do with difference in the material used
for the magnetic coating.

The only issues I end up with is that the drive light is always 1/2
on when not in use.

I'll keep looking for FD-235GF data and playing around. i'ts almost
sorted now

Thanks
Greg

--