Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Sketchup 7

wrote:
On Feb 24, 10:38 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 24, 8:31 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
Leon wrote:
Anyway, you can now print drawings to scale in version 7. For
woodworking IMHO this was a major missing feature in the earlier versions .
It seems that I always needed to transfer a curve or something complicated
in full size scale to the actual wood. Now that is possible. So if you
have not upgraded to version 7, what are you waiting for?
I have version 7, but it still won't handle the simple shape I was
working on (with a different package) when your post popped up.
I'll put what I have so far on abpw, and perhaps you can tell me how I
can make it in SU7.
Draw the 3 straight line segments at the corners on each side. Draw
the arcs between them. Push/Pull on the surface to drag it out into
3d. Unless there's something I'm missing about the drawing, that's
an easy one.

You /are/ missing something. The (surface and matching plywood rib)
curve is a parabola with a curve length of exactly eight feet with the
focus at the point midway between the edges. There aren't any circular
arcs other than the ends of the small tubes, which haven't been
'extruded' yet.

I tried making a cone and sectioning to produce a parabolic curve, but
still had the problem of making the length of the curve come out right.
'Taint as easy as it looks. :-p

Okay. I googled "google sketchup parabola" and got all kinds of
stuff.

http://groups.google.com/group/Sketc...f5c3d?lnk=raot

Normally I use sketchup to visualize, not necessarily get an exact
drawing. So something like that a simple arc would probably be fine
to get what I need from it. Now that I know I can actually generate
scale drawings I may use it a bit more for creating templates that
need to be exact. But my models are never complete. This is what I'm
working on now:

http://www.krtwood.com/progression2.skp

Interesting!

Not remotely complete as far as construction details. The edges of
the top are natural but a simple angle is good enough for modeling.
On the top those circles are dished out with the 'disher' I talked
about elsewhere, I could have spent time trying to figure out how to
model that but I don't care because I already know what it looks
like. The side panels are actually curved, wasn't sure how I was
going to actually do that so I modeled it flat to be sure that would
look good too. When I first headed to the shop a single column of
drawers spanned the whole width. After I decided to split it after
seeing how wide those drawers were going to be I went back and modeled
my concept for curving things to make sure that was going to look
right. I got what I needed out of it. I'm going to have a whole lot
of fun trying to fit those drawer fronts in a couple days though

I'd really like to see some photos of the finished top in place. That'll
be quite a feature.

The main thing that annoys me is the dimensioning tool that doesn't
move the dimension outside when there isn't enough room which then
becomes unreadable.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar