Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Sam Nelson Sam Nelson is offline

Default News Individual.Net Problems

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:46:08 -0000, Sam Nelson
wrote:

In article ,

says...

I thought it was Bob's
employer that invented the internet, not you.

I made no such claim. When I state that I ran one of the computers
that hosted what is widely accepted as the world's first search engine,
it's just a statement that happens to be true.

What you stated, Sam, was that you we

"helping to run the world's first internet search engine"

Leaving aside, despite being such a self-proclaimed internet pioneer,

I'm not a `self-proclaimed Internet pioneer' and never have been. I'm
not an Internet pioneer. I run computers and networks for a living,
and have done for almost quarter of a century. What do you do for a
living? Where are you? What is your name? Why should I bother
debating anything at all with an anonymous poster that doesn't know his
debating arse from his discussing elbow?

that you don't even know the difference between the "internet" and the
"web"

********. As if I'm producing this stuff for a peer-reviewed journal?
Like I care about the odd typo, etc? You're clutching at straws
because you have no case, and never have had.

if it's the world's first _anything_ why has nobody remembered
it?

Because no fuss was ever made of it because no-one around here realised
it was a big deal. Tough ****. That one, I would admit, I lost.

Is it because, in the real world outside of your fantasies of
importance, Wandex is in fact "widely accepted as the world's first
search engine"?

Consider

http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/jimr/pe/Peregrinator.html

where the two are mentioned in the same sentence, as equals. The World
Wide Web Worm (aka Wandex) was in development at the same time. Like a
lot of inventions (see also powered flight, incandescent lamps, TV)
several people had the same idea at the same time. This is how
progress works. It's all in the detail, and at the time, it was clear
to us that JumpStation was the superior product, because it presented
its results the way modern search engines do, while Wandex didn't until
rather later on. Wandex crawled more intelligently, though.

So basically you were doing something that is done at universities
everywhere, every day: working on a project that went nowhere and
achieved nothing, while other people were doing stuff that worked,
served a purpose and went on to be greatly successful.

If you want to see it that way, fine. You still have nothing to win
with, and never have had.

Well done. At least it came in useful eventually, namely to change the
subject yet again and try and deflect attention from a humiliating and
crushing defeat in a Usenet discussion on a subject (Usenet itself)
about which you proved you know absolutely **** all.

Crushing defeat? You haven't even found a weapon yet.

Well generally Sam, in fact always, unless otherwise stated, if you
reply to someone all your remarks are directed to that person you're
replying to.

You just made this rule up on the spur of the moment, did you? In
which RFC is it covered? Either you know fine well what the remark
meant, in context, or you're too stupid to be here.

You've been saying the same thing all through this thread, Sam. (In
between admitting I'm right.)

I have never admitted you are right. For the record, you are wrong,
completely and utterly wrong, and always have been, and if you feel
there's somewhere in this thread where I've admitted you are right, you
are indeed delusional. You've demonstrated, as detailed above, that
you can't even follow the argument, so how you can claim I've ever
admitted you're right is truly astonishing.

You didn't cry off before (in fact you
even replied to posts I made to your new chum, Bob) so why now?
Finally sunk in how boxed into a corner you are?

I'm way, way past caring.
--
SAm.