Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default solar charger for 12v car/leisure battery

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 03:03:33 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:

I've been using a cheapy 5W panel I got off ebay two years ago and it's
been topping up an 80Ah battery quite happily for most of that time.
Peak current from it is around 300mA during sunny days and dips to
almost buggerall on really horrible overcast winter days - 17mA or so.
Overall it works rather well and I'd buy another one as the need arose.

I have 2 x 5w panels in the South facing workshop windows connected
via a charge controller / switch to the backup workshop lights.

Seems to be working ok on a 10Ah gel motorcycle type battery (that I
had spare).

The charge controller is only there as a light switch and to protect
against over-discharging the battery. As an aside it also has a couple
of multi state LED's to indicate charge and battery status.

It's surprising how 'dull' a day can be yet the charge indicator can
still shows green.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I had one of the 1.5W panels permanently connected on the dash of
my old Sierra Estate and that helped keep the battery up (at least
against any self discharge).