Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jon Fairbairn Jon Fairbairn is offline

Default Scale Wizard (limescale inhibitor)

(Steve Firth) writes:

wrote:

One of the shopping channels is currently selling this. It's just a
wire wrapped around the rising main pipe, presumably creating a
magnetic field.

Oh FFS.

Look there are two schools of thought on this. One is the rational,
scientific view that such a device cannot produce the effects claimed.

No, the rational scientific view is

1. the explanations given by the manufacturers are pure
bull****

2. It's difficult to come up with an explanation that fits
with our otherwise very effective understanding of the
physics and chemistry involved

and

3. Nearly all the respectable tests show no effect.

hence

4. They almost certainly¹ don't work.

[1] almost certainly, like "I almost certainly won't win the
lottery² tomorrow".

[2] I've never bought a lottery ticket. Maybe someone
accidentally bought one in my name?

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)