Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc
Sam Nelson Sam Nelson is offline

Default News Individual.Net Problems

In article ,
says...
That point, despite how much you want to
argue about something that nobody even said, is that Usenet has always
been free _at_the_point_of_use_ (as Sam Nelson puts it).

That has never been my experience. I either paid for it, or set it up
for myself, until I discovered the FU Berlin service that became NIN,
and used that as well, in a vaguely bemused way. To me, free news-
servers are a daft idea, since it's a lot of work for precisely
nothing---there isn't even kudos or prestige involved, I don't think;
not in any public sense. Unless the equipment really was junk AND you
have the running of it so sorted-out that it's `fire&forget' (and I
don't believe there's news-server software out there that works that
well) you are quite literally offering quite a lot of something for a
big fat nothing, and I don't see how that makes sense. The motivation
must be somewhere, but it beats me where.

Mainly my employer...who actually sold Usenet services to the UK years ago.

Yep, I've no doubt your employer invented the internet and sold it to
"the UK" too. Anything else?

Anyone that comes up with a cogent argument is simply ridiculed with a
rather pathetic straw man, huh? People that know far more than you do
about the topic you're hopelessly failing to keep up with are
suggesting that when you're in a hole, you should stop digging, butcan
you put that shovel down?
--
SAm.