Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default boarding over loft insulation

Janet Tweedy wrote:
This wills seem a silly question to those of you who probably know but
we had our loft insulated to about 6 inches higher than the rafter with
that roll stuff.
If i was to get it boarded would that mean that as the thermal wadding
became depressed it would also become less efficient/effective?

Janet

Compressing it makes it less effective.

Boarding over it makes it more effective, especially in a high wind
situation.

In fact its probably true to say that traditional loft inuslation is
next to useless if you have a well vented roof, and the wind is blowing
hard.

Ive got 7" up there, and the difference when I boarded it up was remarkable.

But for best effect, board it without compressing. Just lay extra joists
at right angles to existing.