Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Old oil boiler -- ceremonial disposal ideas.

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 2/24/2009 1:08 PM HeyBub spake thus:

John Grabowski wrote:

It's been a while since I had fun like this. I'll post the you-tube
link when complete!

*Just get rid of it. What may seem like fun beforehand could turn
into someone getting hurt or damage being done.

Uh, that's the POINT of the exercise... And no one will get hurt if
they follow common sense safety rules. I'm thinking eye-protection and
ear muffs here.

I think you would have liked my friend from when I lived in Tucson. I'll
call him Vern.

"Vern" was, among other things (musician, cartoonist, all-around funny
guy) an auto mechanic. Told me about the time as a teenager when he and
a couple friends took an old dune buggy out into the desert. Drained the
crankcase, started it up, put a big rock on the accelerator pedal, then
ran like hell a safe distance away to observe the inevitable rod being
thrown.

I'm pretty sure there was beer involved then, too.

Back when air-cooled VW engines were not purpose-built collector car
items, an 'engine blow' event like that was a standard feature of most
VW-oriented hot-rodder events. (Customs, Bajas, Glass-body pan buggies,
the then-new rail buggies, etc.) Most gearheads today can't remember
when a solid VW pan and engine combination could be had for $500 or
less. Ferry Porsche was 30 years ahead of his time when he designed the
thing in 1938.

--
aem sends...