Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Sketchup 7

On Feb 24, 11:47*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:
"Morris Dovey" *wrote
You /are/ missing something. The (surface and matching plywood rib) curve
is a parabola with a curve length of exactly eight feet with the focus at
the point midway between the edges. There aren't any circular arcs other
than the ends of the small tubes, which haven't been 'extruded' yet.

I tried making a cone and sectioning to produce a parabolic curve, but
still had the problem of making the length of the curve come out right..
'Taint as easy as it looks. :-p

Is this for a parabolic reflecter? *I have made a bunch of those for a solar
powered pool company many years ago. *We used metal coated mylar and set the
panels into a frame to support them. *We thermoformed them in a vacuum
forming machine. The machine was home built.

We would cut the shape we wanted in metal and use that to form the plaster
mold. *Mount that mold on the thermoforming bed and heat the plastic. *Turn
on the vacuum and the panels were instantly formed. Trim them and collect
eight of them to make on parabolic reflector.

Ahhhh....., the wild visionary days of a mispent youth. Dreaming of riches
in the solar heating biz. *But I got it out of my system a long time ago. I
am much better now. *:-)

'Tis. You can see photos of a half-width prototype at

* *http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Stirling/Heat.html

These are being used to heat the hot head of a fluidyne engine. You can
see a photo of a low temperature (and low-efficiency) prototype at the
bottom of

* *http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Stirling/Dyne.html

and concept drawings of the next generation at

* *http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/.../Fluidyne.html

Converting the solar radiation to heat is easy - using the heat from a
concentrator with only 32 ft^2 of mirror to produce more than 1 hp is
"interesting".

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Ever consider a linear fresnel reflector on a small scale? The
simplicity appeals to me.
http://www.nrel.gov/csp/troughnet/pd...ausra_clrf.pdf