Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Sketchup 7

wrote:
On Feb 24, 8:31 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
Leon wrote:
Anyway, you can now print drawings to scale in version 7. For
woodworking IMHO this was a major missing feature in the earlier versions .
It seems that I always needed to transfer a curve or something complicated
in full size scale to the actual wood. Now that is possible. So if you
have not upgraded to version 7, what are you waiting for?

I have version 7, but it still won't handle the simple shape I was
working on (with a different package) when your post popped up.

I'll put what I have so far on abpw, and perhaps you can tell me how I
can make it in SU7.

Draw the 3 straight line segments at the corners on each side. Draw
the arcs between them. Push/Pull on the surface to drag it out into
3d. Unless there's something I'm missing about the drawing, that's
an easy one.

You /are/ missing something. The (surface and matching plywood rib)
curve is a parabola with a curve length of exactly eight feet with the
focus at the point midway between the edges. There aren't any circular
arcs other than the ends of the small tubes, which haven't been
'extruded' yet.

I tried making a cone and sectioning to produce a parabolic curve, but
still had the problem of making the length of the curve come out right.
'Taint as easy as it looks. :-p

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar