Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus31514 Ignoramus31514 is offline

Default Using caps to balance 440V RPC

On 2009-02-25, Milo milo@oil wrote:
I read a lot of write ups on using capacitors to balance the 3PH out of a
idler motor.
But, I can't find anything on using them with a 440V system.

Brief description of my set-up: (what I'm trying to run is a 5HP 440V lathe
motor 2 speed, reversible)

I have a 110V 1PH 1.5HP pony motor, belted to a 230V 3PH 7.5HP idler motor.
Feeding the idler motor with 220V 1PH on A & C leg, wild leg on B. A B & C
feed into a 440/208 auto transformer 'backwards' to boost the voltage.

I'm having a hell-uv-a time dialing in my 440V. I have multi taps on the
transformer, but try as I might. I just can't get 3 legs of 440. I can get
two, but as soon as I try to dial in the wild leg, (using the taps) one of
the other legs goes high or low.

How does voltage look on the 230v side?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/