Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Refrigerators - all average at best?

"Jerry" wrote in message
On Feb 23, 2:12 pm, wrote:
We need to purchase a new side by side fridge. Five yr old Frigidaire
needs $600 compressor (60% of what we paid for it). Did a lot of
internet review searching and was suprised to see that the trend was
that they all got average ratings (3 out of 5 stars in most cases
where there were actually a lot of consumer reviews). Are there any
repairmen out their with an opinon?

I'm not a repairman, but I'll relate a comment made to me by a
repairman a few months ago. He was changing a controller board in my 1
year old GE side by side - wouldn't hold temperature, kept swinging up
and down. Asked him what kind of fridge he had. Said he bought one of
the last GE models (about 7 or 8 years old) to be controlled the old-
fashioned electro-mechanical way, you know, thermostats and relays,
rather than a computer controller board. His opinion, nothing built
since then has been any good.

Jerry

I got a GE 18 cu/ft with my house 2 years ago and it's the old-fasioned
kind--no LEDs or such nonsense. It's a bit noisy but I have it set at the
lowest temp setting and it goes from about 36-42 in the fridge and down to
about 5 degrees in the freezer. My old GE side-by-side 24 cu/ft still works
fine (15 years or so) but it uses a little more power than the new one (but
not a whole lot) and I'm off-grid so every watt counts. I had a Frigidair
14 cu/ft and it seemed to use more power than the 24 cu/ft GE but when the
thermostat broke I was able to fix it easily.

I don't buy any appliances that have LEDs and such.

I have no faith in comsumer reports unless they are direct from the source
such as this newsgroup.