Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default Sketchup 7

Leon wrote:
I have been an AutoCAD LT user for 12 or so years. I have been using
CAD programs since 1986. Never have I run across and learned so quickly to
draw on a CAD type program as with Sketchup. 3D is SIMPLE with Sketchup. I
down loaded it years ago and removed it, down loaded it again and forgot
about it, uninstalled it once again and finally down loaded version 6 and
after putzing with it 2 or 3 more times discovered that it was OK.
Version 7 was released a few months or so ago and it is even better.
It seems that there are fewer errors and problems and designing on it now
seems very intuitive once I learned to assemble my drawings with components,
thanks Swingman.
Anyway, you can now print drawings to scale in version 7. For
woodworking IMHO this was a major missing feature in the earlier versions .
It seems that I always needed to transfer a curve or something complicated
in full size scale to the actual wood. Now that is possible. So if you
have not upgraded to version 7, what are you waiting for?

I've been messing with it a lot lately and it IS pretty dang spiffy.
But I'm also a TurboCAD junky and there are a lot of things from that
program that I miss terribly in Sketchup. Some of the decisions it
automatically makes for you can be pretty maddening (merging entities
together when they just happen to be touching, for example) but perhaps
with time I'll learn to work around my preconceived notions of how it
*ought* to operate. For a free program it's pretty damned incredible.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/