Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] john@jjdesigns.fsnet.co.uk is offline

Default CFL Bulbs Is this costing me money

Arfa Daily wrote:

snip

[...]
Have you had a look at any of the data sheets for these latest generation
'eco-friendly' switch-mode controller ics, with their burst standby modes ?
They make very interesting reading, Some of them are truly amazing now.
Titsy little sm devices with 380v on them ...

I would be very interested in seeing a schematic or block diagram even, for
your power meter. I have been looking around for a 'good' one for some time,
and I do enjoy having something to build. If you have anything
electronically 'on paper' that you wouldn't mind me having a squint at, the
address that this is posted from, works.

Have you considered submitting it as an article to Elektor magazine ? That
sort of project is right up their street these days, and a little while ago,
they were advertising for contributors.

Arfa

Those teensy little things running 380V scare me (shouldn't though as
I've found I shower daily with 240Vac going straight through the
heating element and into the shower water!).
Took a Nokia adaptor apart. Nothing in there other than the HF
transformer, bridge, some tiny tiny HV 'lytics, and a couple of those
chips. Works good.
-No- to magazines thanks!. Had some articles published about 1000
years ago, effort involved is way beyond my current motivation level!.
The guys that do do magazine articles I deem as grade #1
masochists
I'll email you the circuit diagram though.