Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Pole Lamp Replacement

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Joe Beda wrote:

Our house is about 30 years old. When it was built, we had a pole lamp
installed down at the end of the driveway.

It was electric with the wires running in a piece of thin-wall conduit
from the house to the pole.

Now apparently the wiring has failed. I was waiting for spring thaw to
start digging up the front lawn to replace the wiring and probably the
fixture.

A friend mentioned that I should look for a solar pole lamp to replace
what is there and save all the digging and wiring.

I don't need a lot of light, just something for the newspaper delivery
person to aim at. I did some searching and found some lights. The big
problem is I don't like the styles that I had found. We need something
a little more modern looking than the typical coach light style.

My questions a

Does anyone have experience with solar pole lamps?

Any recommend sources?

Or, any other alternative ideas to eliminate the need to dig a trench
through my front yard?

Thanks,

Joe

We just bought a house with failed pole lamp wiring, and the previous
owner had installed a solar fixture on the pole. IMO, the amount of
light it gives off is completely useless. Roughly on the order of an
anemic firefly. By the time the paper "boy" comes around at 3 in the
morning, it'll be dead anyway. I'm going to be looking for a way to get
some fresh AC wires out there.

Hi,
Mine does last few days. Solar charged battery lights up a LED torch
controlled by light sensor. Been working few years out at my cabin
driveway. In my case this not for illumination. This works as a marker
so I can find entrance to the drive way in the dark.