Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default Multi-posting sucks

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 05:13:41 -0000, UCLAN wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

That said, cross-posting without using a "Follow-up To:" flag

I frown upon followup to flags. They make things go where you don't expect
them to. I've therefore set a killfile rule for any such posts.

Besides, if you want replies to your post to go to group X, then why didn't
you post it there in the first place?

Me?

Can't rememeber, you've deleted some of the references.

I don't crosspost. I assume the crossposter *did* include "group X" in
his/her crosspost. Using "Follow-up to:" just directs all replies (including
flames and bogus advice) to just the one group instead of ALL of the infected
groups.

Which is silly. Say person A asks a question in groups X, Y, Z. Person B is subscribed to only group Y, and replies. The followup person A added directs person B's reply to group X, so person B cannot continue the discussion.

provides a conduit for off topic flame wars to escalate in several
groups, with all groups tied together for the duration of the war.
Nothing like a 100 post off-topic thread permeating several groups
instead of just the one.

"Ignore thread", it ain't rocket science.

And throw out the legitimate replies along with the garbage. How intelligent.

Then ignore the subthread.

More likely you're just a
non-social person who can't stand the idea of more then 4 people having a
conversation.

Since when does a long running OT thread remotely resemble a conversation?

Who said I was only referring to long running ones?

Ben Franklin was a little stout later in life and it was said that
in Paris a young woman, tapping him on his protruding abdomen,
said, "Dr. Franklin, if this were on a woman, we'd know what to
think."

And Franklin replied, "half an hour ago, Mademoiselle, it was
on a woman, and now what do you think?"