Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Let's see the ATF regulate THIS

Leon wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:09:03 -0800 (PST), cast forth
these pearls of wisdom...:

yeah - but to be fair, there is a huge difference between a grain silo and
a woodworking shop. In the world of grain silos, the potential for an
explosion is very expected. It's not a freak accident. There is a lot
published on the mixture required for different materials to become
explosive, and grain silos can much more easily hit the right mixture for
grain. Or at least they used to. I'm sure they are more controlled now.

I'm not an advocate of relying upon freak accident excuses, but I'm
equally no advocate of ignoring the probabilities of things either.

Actually I bet that if there were as many saw dust silos as there are grain
silos you might see more explosions.

More, but still quite rare. Sawdust generally is not nearly as fine as
is grain dust, hence much harder to get into sufficient concentration to
make an explosive mixture and iirc the ignition point is higher as well.