Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default A question about finishing mahogany

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:20:04 -0600, Steve Turner wrote:

Plus, the fact that stain was involved (water soluble dye) complicated
the process; breaking through the stain when leveling with sandpaper is
*going* to happen, and many of the otherwise successful approaches I
tried broke down when a repair was involved. In the end, I abandoned
solids altogether.

Something I've done quite a bit to minimize splotching is to wipe on a
couple of coats of clear shellac, then a coat with alcohol soluble dye
mixed in, and finally a couple more clear coats.

I started off trying to use SolarLux and it's nice stuff, but it has
some sort of (glucose?) binder that made it hard to deal with during
repairs. I didn't try a straight alcohol soluble dye; that might have
played much better together with shellac.

If you filled first and then dyed, it might make leveling the filler less
dangerous.

I tried that (with probably three different brands and types of filler)
and didn't like the look.

Thanks for the info on the pumice method. I'll try it next time I want
to fill the pores on something.

Stock up on sandpaper first! :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.