Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A question about finishing mahogany

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:20:04 -0600, Steve Turner wrote:

Plus, the fact that stain was involved (water soluble dye) complicated
the process; breaking through the stain when leveling with sandpaper is
*going* to happen, and many of the otherwise successful approaches I
tried broke down when a repair was involved. In the end, I abandoned
solids altogether.

Something I've done quite a bit to minimize splotching is to wipe on a
couple of coats of clear shellac, then a coat with alcohol soluble dye
mixed in, and finally a couple more clear coats.

If you filled first and then dyed, it might make leveling the filler less
dangerous.

Thanks for the info on the pumice method. I'll try it next time I want
to fill the pores on something.