Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Need advice on "vice" (w / pictures)

Swingman wrote:
Most old timers considered "grain" as the most important attribute when
choosing wood for a particular purpose. You see evidence of this in most of
the older, 19th/early 20th century, literature on woodworking and carpentry.

While not exactly a lost art, or rocket science, most folks today, when
faced with choosing fence posts from a stack, would be hard pressed to pick
the ideal ones for the job by just looking at the ends, or when siding a
house, which grain direction would hold a paint job longer.

Are you kidding? They don't about grain anymore on finish carpentry.
How many times have I walked through the Lowes or HD cabinet section
and seen doors on which the rails and stiles look like different species?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--