Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default Green U Turn on Nuclear.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bruce wrote:
Peter Parry wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:34:33 +0000, Bruce wrote:
Complete rubbish. Friends of the Earth has not changed its mind about
nuclear and it never will.
"My mind is made up, please do not confuse me with facts"?

Speak for yourself!

Nuclear power is fundamentally something that FOE could never, and
should never support. The facts about nuclear power are very well known
and aren't going to change, so FOE won't change its view.

The facts are not at all known, sadly.

On the contrary, the experience of other countries that continued
developing nuclear power (while we curtailed our building programme)
fully support the facts we already knew.

The facts about nuclear costs haven't changed. The French nuclear power
programme has cost the French taxpayers astronomical sums of money.
Cheap nuclear power is an illusion; someone has to pay, and in France
the burden of nuclear costs falls very heavily on taxpayers.

The facts about nuclear waste haven't changed. In the 60 years since we
started making nuclear weapons the waste problems have never been
solved, or even properly addressed.

The facts about the limited supplies of uranium haven't changed. If the
major industrialised countries make a significant change towards nuclear
power, the uranium will quickly run out. Back to square one.

And please don't mention the fast breeder reactor - it didn't work,
except to produce far more toxic products than it consumed. That's why
the experiment ended. The cleanup of the aftermath is one of the most
expensive and complex nuclear decommissioning projects ever undertaken.

Only a one-eyed Scottish idiot would decide to return to nuclear power.