Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alang Alang is offline

Default Green U Turn on Nuclear.

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:09:58 +0000, Mike wrote:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 03:58:39 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...e-1629327.html

At last some sense.

Shame we have lost 30 years of development while waiting...

That's easily solved in the short term. Chuck another
environmentalist on the fire and give it a good poke with a heavy
metal object.

They are current carbon cycle and so effectively carbon neutral. High
in energy content and burning them reduces overall noxious emissions
plus it increases the speed of economic development by reducing public
planning enquiries. Plus if you nobble a fat one and like pork
scratchings......

Actually you can place a lot of the blame on the Thatcher government.
Back in the 70s after the oil crisis the labour governemnt set up a
long term energy strategy based on coal, oil , nuclear and renewables.
One of the few things they got very right IMO.

There were supposed to be 6 new nuclear power stations planned
according to my sources at the time. The company I worked for at the
time had tooled up to make the pressure vessels. Invested a lot of
money in it. The tories got in and gave the go ahead for cheap gas
powered generation. Scrapped the plans for nuclear. Saw loads of
engineers and technical staff laid off and effectively buggered up
the skills base in the UK for nuclear power for the next 30 years.