Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default craft show items

I don't know how much a turner can expect to sell at a craft show
anymore. The market is pretty damn saturated with pens, mirrors,
magnifying glasses, candlesticks, lamp pulls, weed pots, etc. Those
are for the most part considered beginning projects, and they are out
there by the millions.

One of our local high schools has even sold pens and pen desk sets
they make in shop class as fund raisers. $15 for a slimline pen.

They were selling the old "Classic" or Parker style pens for $35 if
the barrels were made from lucite matching the school colors. The
word spread quickly here. The Cub Scouts got into the act as well.
We have total market saturation.

Poor work has shown up at every church craft show, raffle, and fund
raiser I can think of. Since most folks can't tell the difference
between a machine made bowl from Walmart and a nice salad bowl from a
good turner, they don't get much for their efforts.

I think at this time you might have to find a way to elevate yourself
to "artist" status to make a go of any kind with turned objects. The
simple little fun projects just don't bring enough money in to make it
a worthwhile monetary effort anymore. The stuff I make now, I almost
always give away. I still sell my oil lamps, but that is a tough
market as well.

I figure if I am not going to make a but a pittance for something, I
might as well not put myself in a position to get ****ed off about
it. My monetary goal was met with turning when I sold enough to pay
off all my equipment. Besides, if it makes someone happy to give them
a little Christmas ornament or something along those lines, mission
accomplished.

Robert