Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Hardwood Supply

Dave Balderstone wrote in
news:230220092251301502%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca:

In article , DGDevin
wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Hum - know anyone down at the ship channel ? Some cargo ships
use exotic (foreign) wood to block and brace with. Some big stuff
we used to get years ago overseas.

Some decades ago a pal of mine who is a fanatical woodworker went to
Africa to teach for two years, Tanzania. When he was about to return
he bought a whole bunch of real interesting wood, and had it
carefully made into extra-heavy-duty shipping crates in which to
return his household goods, and by carefully I mean he plotted out
every screw and nail hole. Of course when he got back he dismantled
the crates and stacked the wood on racks, he's still building stuff
out of it all these years later. I hate to think what some of those
slabs are worth today.

Brilliant! _ing Brilliant!

I still have some of the nice pine from the shipping crate some of our
stuff was shipped in from Holland. Until a few months ago some of it
served as the base of a window seat bench. Eventually I'll have used it
all up. Of course, this was just a pine container, not exotic wood.

--
Best regards
Han