Posted to rec.woodworking
Dick Snyder[_4_] Dick Snyder[_4_] is offline

Default A question about finishing mahogany

FWIW, am using a product called Bartley paste wood filler. It is natural so
that one could add tinting if desired which I do not. I have filled a
couple of test areas and it is quite transparent. When I put my oil finish
on over it and a neighboring area that had no filler, there is no difference
in color between the filled and unfilled areas.

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
om...
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:20:28 -0800, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I assume you are talking about a grain filler to try and get a piano
type surface. If so, an you haven't done this before, you need to
practice quite a bit to learn how. (p.s. don't practice on your project)
I've done grain filling a few times and still never got it completly
right.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I've read that mixing pumice
with some shellac makes a good grain filler. Apparently the pumice
becomes transparent in the shellac. If anyone here has tried it, how did
it work?