Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Elliot G Elliot G is offline

Default DIY hydraulic presses, with electric pumps

"Dave B" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:49:43 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

On Feb 22, 6:05 pm, Dave B wrote:

Use air over oil, and a small pump to move to the top of the part.

That can be dangerous: compressed air stores significant
energy, it can shatter an item in the press and send pieces
flying. With oil only, an item in the press shatters and the
oil pressure immediately drops, before projectiles form...

My preference is for a two-stage pump, either hand or
power, so the piston moves to take up slack at the fast speed,
then falls back to the slow speed when the pressure rises.

Here are some of the presses I have done (last year)

Air over oil,air intensifier and closed loop servo valve

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...nt=200ton3.jpg

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...nt=200ton2.jpg

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ress_Retro.jpg

Dave B

Very nice. But that makes a two or three stage pump look very simple.