Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Green U Turn on Nuclear.

PeterC wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 03:58:39 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...e-1629327.html

At last some sense.

Shame we have lost 30 years of development while waiting...

There's the Candu reactor - best in the world 20+ years ago and has had
some development (from Canada).

I think he meant 'we' as in the UK.

There's pebble bed development going on in S Africa, and the French made
PWR reactors cheap and reliable.

Slapping in CANDUS and PWRS is a good base to start ..then pebble beds
and thorium reactors..then fusion ultimately.

But the main stumbling block has been the extreme prejudice against what
has actually been, even *with* Three mile Island, Windscale and
Chernobyl, a very safe and pollution free industry *when compared with
almost any other*. As opposed to the ridiculous standards the nuclear
industry - unlike any other - has had to meet.

If we can get over that hurdle, we have the time, and enough oil and
coal, to stumble along while we build the new generation.