Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Safety guards [was Best portable table saw]

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
So question is, how many of you run your table saw with a guard in place?

I've *never* used one. Yeah, I know; I've seen all the photos of the guy
cutting with the guard down, and all the admonitions to use it.

Supposedly they're safer. However, I've never even nicked myself on a
table saw [knocks on wood here]. I'm just super-careful. Also have never
had a bad kickback. Seems to me the guard would just make for more
frustration trying to work around it with push sticks and such.

A featherboard, on the other hand, does seem like it might be a good thing
to use for ripping to prevent kickbacks. But like I say, I've never had
one. Yet.

I use mine just about all the time. I don't find it to be inconvenient and
the pawls can help prevent a kickback. I also use a magnetic featherboard
for most ripping. I don't look at it as a safety feature, but as a help
with accuracy to keep the wood from drifting at all.