Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Best portable table saw

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 2/23/2009 12:10 PM Pete C. spake thus:

As an additional note, I'd suggest instead of looking to roll the saw
out of the way when you're not cutting you instead make a drop on
worktable top that can rest over the saw and provide an assembly /
finishing table. Let the heavy cabinet saw serve as the central
workspace.

That's an interesting idea worth considering, but it may or may not work
in a particular workshop.

In my case, I need to be able to turn the saw 90°, one way for ripping
long stock, the other way for crosscutting same.

If you're considering using the saw on large panels (plywood, etc.),
that's a whole 'nother ball o'wax.

Sounds like a good excuse to buy/build a panel saw. You can even make a
vertical stock rack to fit between it and the wall. I'm considering
doing a similar setup here, though there won't be much wood in it, more
metal, lexan, FRP, etc.

One other thing to consider: get a good roller stand so you can support
long pieces.

An adjustable height worktable with a laminate top works well also. I
have one I made from a power adjustable base I scrounged, but you can
make one using a trailer jack as well.

Lots of ways to arrange one's workspace. And a saw table does make a
nice work surface.

The key is to protect the expensive saw table when using it as a work
surface. An add on top protects from dings, glue, poly, etc.