Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] petermeakins@googlemail.com is offline

Default 50+ year-old gas cooker with stiff gas taps

On Feb 23, 7:41*pm, Ed Sirett wrote:
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 10:08:21 -0800, petermeakins wrote:
The New World seventy-six cooker I have needs the taps / knobs
lubricating - I saw something on a previous post suggesting gss cock
grease. Is this the stuff, and is it straightforward to dismantle and
re-grease them? A gas engineer I spoke to muttered darkly about carbon
monoxide and said any engineer would charge £100 to come out and then
slap a condemned label on it to cover himself. I like the cooker but
like life more - should I think of scrapping it for safety? The flame on
one burner was a little yellow, to I closed what I took to be an air
inlet screw on the cast iron pipe leading to it - this improved it but
even fully tightened the flame is still a little yellow. Would re-
greasing the taps help this - and should I be in there at all? Thanks
for advice.
Peter

There is a New world cooker in a flat a couple of doors away. It is in
better health than me and about the same age. *I usually get to the do
the Landlords' inspection. I am determined to keep this appliance in safe
working order.

Clearly the oven let alone any other burners don't have flame failure,
therefore the cooker is "not to current standards"! (Frankly it's better
than a notionally compliant brand new "B*ko" from C*met et sim.).

A few years ago I did re-grease all the taps using a tiny amount of gas
cock grease. More recently I repainted the numbers on the Regulo. *I did
remove the mini gas poker from the side a few years ago. Peizo or Piezo-
gas lighters weren't widely available when it was made and there were a
lot of ways that gadget could make trouble.

If you have yellow tinged flames on any of the burners then you will need
to eliminate the problem.
Jet worn? Jet blocked? Mixing tube dirty inside? Aeration settings wrong?
Holes in burner (especially over) partly blocked? *Wrong gas pressure.
If in doubt get an experienced pro.

The FAQ for uk.diy is athttp://www.diyfaq.org.uk
Gas fitting FAQ *http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html
Sealed CH FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html
Choosing a Boiler FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

Thanks Ed and John,
Pleased to hear there are other cast iron geriactrics still lighting
up out there! Advice was very useful - I will follow up and if in any
trouble call someone who knows - or if you are anywhere near Brighton
tommorrow please drop by for an unregulated pancake! Do you know if
parts can be had for ancient cookers such as this?
best,
Peter