Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best portable table saw

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I don't mean to start a huge debate here, but I'm looking for a good
table saw to make furniture. My limitation is that I get half a garage
so I'm limited to a saw that can roll away. I think that pretty much
narrows it down to a few saws. Among those, which would you recommend
to an amatuer but serious furniture maker.

Thanks,

Aaron

Any saw can be mounted on a mobile base. For furniture, you don't want to
get a cheap saw. I'd highly recommend a mid sized saw such as commonly
known as a contractors saw. You get a large cast iron top, smooth and quiet
belt drive, and an accurate, easily set fence.

I have a Delta saw with Beisemeyer fence. I'd buy the same thing today, but
thee are others that can do the job for you. Jet has equivalent models.
The Ridgid is said to be good, General, and some of the Grizzly.

One big difference between a contractor saw and a benchtop is the table
size. The smaller saws are limited to the width that can be cross cut to a
few inches less than the big saws. In any case, you'll want to build a
simple detachable outfeed table too.

Get a good blade. Infinity, Ridge Carbide, or Forrest would be my picks in
that order.
http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1413
http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/prod...100869a16a45cc