Posted to sci.electronics.repair
krw[_4_] krw[_4_] is offline

Default No Time Left For VCRs?

In article ,
says...
In article , krw wrote:
In article ,
says...
In article , krw

wrote:
In article fc5e159b-a167-4b49-8205-97b841823391
,
says...=20
On Feb 21, 6:41=A0am, Ron wrote:
I rather like the new digital pictures being broadcast these days, but
I have to wonder what is going to happen with all of those VCRs that
people love to set for delayed programming--- andthere are a lot of
folks who do tape shows while away or at work-- when June 12 rolls
around and VCR tuners won't be able to tune into the new digital
signals?

Ron
=20
Who has bought a VCR recently? The only people who are likely to have
a working vcr today are those who so infrequently use it that it won't
be a great loss.

I have, within the last year.

Granted, I've ignored those who had one fail and have a large/
worthwhile library of existing VHS tapes recorded, but let this be a
wakeup call, that when we are forced to change tech, it's time to make
backups onto the more current media.

How?
=20

VHS to DVD copy machine ??
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

Copy protection?

On recorded tapes ???

Absolutely! My DVDR refuses to copy prerecorded tapes.

Today, VHS seems such a crude low-res media to use but I realize some
priceless footage may have been shot or saved in that limited format.
The only good answer is buy a VCR if what you have is worth the cost,
just to convert it digitally, and move on.

Great plan, but there are titles that are still only (have ever=20
been) available on VHS.