Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A question about finishing mahogany

Wow. Nice work.

On Feb 23, 10:44*am, Steve Turner wrote:
Dick Snyder wrote:
No stain.

Good. :-) *Life is so much easier that way, and Mahogany doesn't need
stain to look fabulous. *However, I'm curious as to what the filler is
going to look like without any colorizing...

I will be using General Finishes Seal-A-Cell Clear (an oil and
urethane blend - David Marks uses this product) followed by several
coats of Arm-R-Seal, also from General Finishes.

I've not tried that combination, but it sounds like a reasonable
approach; General Finishes makes a quality product.

I have some left over mahogany so I will try the filler
on a piece followed by the Seal-A-Cell and then just the
Seal-A-Cell on another piece so I can see the difference.

Do report back with your findings.

BTW, is the workpiece relatively "flat" or do you have a lot of contours
to contend with (as with a complex molding or turned legs)? *Going for
the "piano" finish (as Sonoma described it) is exponentially more
difficult if you have to deal with all kinds of nooks and crannies...
Case in point: *have a look at my "amoire" project if you want to see
the "piano" finish from hell:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7603972580761/

It took me longer to do the finish than it did to construct the dang
thing (complicated *considerably* by the presence of stain), and it's
still nowhere *near* perfect...

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/